Amy from Rocketwife tagged me, oh I don't know, 3 weeks ago. I've never been tagged before so this was very exciting for me. Until I sat down to write.
I'm suppose to write down eight things I'd like to do before I die. This is all great in theory, but then my mind begins to spin. What if I want to do more than these 8 things? What if there is something I'm forgetting? What if my list is vain and superficial? What if I change? What if people think I'm stupid? What if it's not a good list? What if I die tomorrow? What if? What if? What if?...And then I slam the computer shut, wipe the sweat off my brow and walk away. Please tell me you do this too? NO? I'm just a freak. Well, how about that.
I really was determined to get this done. I thought my 29th birthday would be an excellent time to identify 8 things/goals to accomplish in the upcoming years. Please note that I had to change '8 things to do before I die' to '8 things to do in the upcoming years'. This subtle difference, for whatever reason, makes this exercise even possible for me. So here goes...
1. Have a successful, long marriage. This may seem like a given, but when you're in your 20's with a divorce already behind you...
2. Run 50 marathons/half marathons by the age of 50. I ran my first 1/2 marathon 10 years ago (that makes me feel old), and I immediately fell in love with races. I don't like to run, but have completed 16 1/2 marathons and 1 full marathon. I think completing 33 more would be damn impressive. In fact maybe we should change age 50 to 40. I'm giddy just thinking about it. Come to think of it, maybe I do like running.
3. Live in a foreign country. When I was 18, I lived in Chile for 5 months. I was young, scared, and depressed, so spent most of the time in the fetal position in my 200 sq. foot efficiency apartment. When I wasn't eating pastries that is. Now that I'm older and more mature (hair toss), I'd love to live somewhere different and experience a new culture. Who am I kidding, though, I'll probably end up scared, sad, and depressed in the fetal position.
4. Have Children. Again, this may seem like a given, but when you're 29 and still don't have all your ducks in a row...
5. Visit all 7 continents. I only have Australia and Antarctica left, so I think this is already in the bag. Unless something tragic happens, of course, which gives me a panicky feeling, so let's not go there.
6. Be a better friend. I've lost contact with too many dear friends over the years. As I get older, I realize how important some of these friendships have been, and cringe that I let them go so frivolously.
7. Become a vegan for a year. Minus the piercings, of course. This is pretty far fetched considering I had some steak and bacon dish for dinner last night, but I've always struggled with food/mind/body issues. I think having the discipline to be a vegan for a year would help me grow immensely as a person, as well as show respect for my surroundings.
8. Be able to say that I've tried my best. I've spent too many years afraid of failure and afraid of what I have to offer. Because of this I've sabotaged successes, ruined relationships, and screwed myself out of many happy moments. I want to fail - because the only people that fail are the people that have tried. And heaven help me, I want to say I've tried just about everything.
There you have it. What are some things on your list?